Maintaining a proper strength of the immune system in the body is a basic requirement for staying healthy. To avoid falling sick and to maintain good health, Ayurveda advises a number of simple formulas which are very effective to increase immunity or ‘Ojas’.
However, here are some recipes for simple Ayurvedic tonics that act as ‘Rasayanas’. These are especially beneficial for those who are physically weak, underweight and have weak muscles.
The tonics given below nourish not only the body but mind too.
1. Eat 3 or 4 figs and drink 250ml warm milk in the morning. One or two teaspoons of honey may be added to the milk for sweetening. Soak the figs in water if they are dry. It is a very good tonic and also cures constipation and anemia.
2. Take 2 walnuts, 4 almonds and 7 raisins. Soak them overnight in water and eat the next morning with 250ml of warm milk. Chew well. It’s good to add one or two teaspoons of honey to the milk for sweetening.
3. Take 1 part dry dates (without seeds), 2 parts dry coconut and 3 parts sugar candy. Cut/break them into small pieces and mix them together. Take about 50 grams of this mixture every morning. It’s specially good for the children and prevents common ailments like tonsillitis, cold, cough, indigestion and diseases relating to teeth. The dose for children is 2 teaspoons and 4-5 teaspoons for adults. Do not drink water immediately after eating this mixture.
4. Take equal quantity of unpeeled apples and carrots grated. This mixture should be taken on an empty stomach in the morning. Dose can be up to 200 grams. Do not eat anything for 2 hours after eating this mixture. It is very effective in reducing extra fat, specially for the women. For increasing weight the same mixture should be taken immediately after lunch.
Special Ayurvedic tonic for infants:
1. Take 1 almond and soak it in water overnight. In the morning remove the skin of almond and make a fine paste by grinding it. Mix in 1 gram of honey. Give to babies who are 4 months or older. It is a nice tonic for both mental and physical development of the child. Please note that the almond should not be bitter and the paste should be very fine.
2. Take 25 grams black chickpeas ( kala chana ). Soak them in 200 ml water in the night. It is advised to eat these next morning. The water can also be taken with or without mixing a teaspoon of honey. The sprouts made from black chickpeas can also be taken. They strengthen the lungs, help reduce cholesterol and are good in cases of heart disease. Those having a weak digestion or who develop heaviness after eating this, should discontinue.
3. Take 2-3 dry dates and soak them in water every morning. In the evening boil them in 250ml milk untill half the quantity of milk remains. Cool and add one teaspoon honey as a sweetener. Eat the dates and drink the milk. This can be taken one hour before going to bed. Do not drink water for 2 hours after taking this tonic. This tonic helps to build all the ‘Dhatus’, gives strength to lungs, increases blood circulation, cleans the bowels and alleviates Vata and Pitta.