Mahashivratri festival is celebrated by Hindu community in honor of Lord Shiva and this year the festival falls on March 04. The festival is celebrated by worshipping the Lord Shiva or Shivling, fasting and praying. Devotees chant rhymns to pacify the God. During Lord Shiva puja, milk, Water, curd and honey are poured over the Shivling.
Traditionally, Shiva is offered bhang during the puja. Here is a simple recipe to make Bhang Thandai for Mahashivratri.
Bhang Thandai – Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 4 and 1/2 cups of boiled and cooled milk
- 1/4 cup of crushed almonds
- 1 tablespoon of fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon of poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom powder
- 2 teaspoons of bhang
- Few strands of saffron
- Take milk in a big bowl and add cardamom powder and sugar to it.
- Add fennel seeds, poppy seeds and almonds to the milk.
- Mix the milk mixture for about five minutes and keep it in fridge for about two hours.
- After two hours, take out the milk and strain it using a sieve to separate the spices.
- Then, add saffron strands, pepper powder and the bhang. Mix well.
- Pour it into glasses and offer it to Shiva before you serve it to others.
- Enjoy the festival and the drink.