Exercise-119: Bakasana (The crane pose)
- Stand erect with the feet together and arms raised above the head.
- Bend the body at the waist and grasp the left toes with both hands.
- Raise the right leg behind as high as possible.
- Do not bend either knee.
- Hold this position as long as comfortable.
- Lower the leg and return to the erect position.
- Inhale while raising the arms.
- Exhale while bending the trunk.
- Breathe normally in the final pose.
- Inhale while returning to the erect position.
Practice once on each leg for as long as possible.
On maintaining balance.
- This asana improves blood circulation to the brain.
- Strengthens the arms, wrists and leg muscles.
- Relaxes the lower back and helps in the development of nervous co-ordination.