Exercise-124: Merudandasana (The spinal column pose)
- Assume a sitting position.
- Bend the legs at the knees and place the soles on the floor in front of the hips.
- The feet should be about half a meter apart.
- Hold the big toes and relax the body.
- Slowly lean the trunk backward and straighten the legs.
- The arms and legs should be straight and separated as much as possible.
Inhale while seated.
Retain the breath inside while stretching the legs.
Exhale after finishing.
For as long as you can comfortably retain the breath.
Do not strain.
On maintaining balance by gazing at a fixed point.
Not recommended for patients of slipped disc or sciatica.
- Activates the abdominal organs, especially the liver and strengthens the abdominal muscles.
- Helps to remove intestinal worms, stimulates intestinal peristalsis and tones the entire visceral region.
- Tones the spinal nerves and strengthens the spinal muscles.
Develops balance and concentration.