Exercise-105: Salamba sirshasana (The supported headstand pose)
- Assume marjariasana (the cat pose).
- Place the crown of the head on the ground between the hands.
- Move the hands back to the sides of the knees.
- Raise the knees and move the feet forward until the thighs are near the chest.
- Transfer the body weight from the feet to the head and hands.
- Slowly raise one foot first then the other.
- Raise the legs and straighten the knees so that the body is fully erect.
- Remain for a comfortable period of time and then slowly descend.
- Retain your breath inside while assuming the asana and while descending.
- Breathe normally in the final pose.
All other details are as given for sirshasana.
Exercise-106: Niralamba sirshasana (The unsupported headstand pose)
This is the same as salamba sirshasana except the arms are stretched forward and kept straight throughout.
Padma niralamba sirshasana (The unsupported headstand lotus pose)
- Assume padmasana, the lotus pose.
- Place the hands in front of the knees and stand on the knees.
- Place the head on the ground between the hands and slide the arms into the space under the legs with palms downward and elbows straight.
- Draw the legs up to the chest, using the arms as rails. Straighten the hips and raise the legs.