Exercise-125: Vashishthasana (the straight arm stretch pose)
- Lie on the left side with the right leg above the left leg.
- Place the right hand on the right thigh and the left palm on the ground under the left shoulder.
- The fingers must point away from the feet.
- Straighten the left elbow and raise the upper torso.
- Raise the hip until the entire body is straight and on a 30 degree incline supported by the left arm and foot.
- Bend the right knee and grasp the big toe with the right hand.
- Raise the foot and stretch the leg.
- Release the toe.
- Lower the leg and then the body.
- Practice a maximum of 5 times on each side.
- Practice this asana with the breath retained inside.
- Normal unrestrained breathing may be practiced once the foot is securely raised.
On maintaining balance and on relaxing the leg muscles.
- This asana improves nervous balance and removes anxiety.
- It makes the leg muscles supple and strengthens the arms.