Parivritti janu sirshasana
Execise-99: Parivritti janu sirshasana (The spiraling head to knee pose)
- Sit with the legs straight in front of the body.
- Bend the left leg and place the heel against the perineum.
- Bend forward, incline the trunk to the right and hold the right foot with the right hand.
- The fingers should be in contact with the instep, with the thumb on top of the foot.
- Place the elbow on the inside of the straight leg.
- Bring the left arm over the head and hold the right toes.
- Tighten the arms and pull the right shoulder toward the foot.
- Try to ease the head under the left arm and twist the trunk as much as is comfortably possible.
- Look towards the ceiling.
- Do not strain the back.
- Exhale while pulling the body sideways.
- Breathe normally in the final pose.
Not recommended for people with back problems or for pregnant women.
- Gives the same benefits as paschimottanasana, with the added advantage that each side of the abdomen and chest (the thoracic cage including the lungs) is stretched and then ‘compressed.
- Duplicates the benefits of ardha matsyendrasana.