Ardha Baddha Padottanasana
Exercise-122: Ardha baddha padmottanasana (the half lotus leg stretch pose)
- Stand erect.
- While balancing on the left leg, bend the right leg at the knee and place the right foot as high as possible on the left thigh.
- Raise both arms above the head clasping the fingers.
- Relax and steady the whole body.
- Slowly bend forward and touch the left foot with the fingers.
- Keep the left leg straight.
- If possible touch the left knee with the forehead.
- Stay in the final pose for as long as comfortable. Slowly return to the erect position.
- Unfold the right leg and relax.
- Repeat the same procedure with the left leg folded on the right thigh.
- Exhale while bending forward.
- Breathe normally in the final pose.
- Inhale as you return to the starting pose.
Maintain for up to 2 minutes on each leg.
On maintaining balance or on the breath.
Not recommended for people with sciatica or slipped disc.
- Stimulates digestion and removes constipation.
- Develops the sense of balance and improves the power of concentration.
- Loosens and strengthens the legs.