Exercise-79: Kandharasana (The shoulder pose)
- Lie flat on the back with the legs bent at the knees and the heels touching the buttocks.
- Hold the ankles.
- Raise the hips and arch the back, keeping feet flat on the floor.
- Do not move the position of the feet or shoulders.
- The body should be supported by the feet, neck, shoulders and arms.
Retain the breath inside when practising this pose.
Repeat up to 10 times for general health or for long periods with normal breathing for curative purposes.
On the abdominal region or thyroid gland.
Use as a counter pose to forward bending poses.
This asana is not to be performed by pregnant women.
- This asana is useful to return displaced vertebral discs.
- It stretches and massages the colon and other abdominal organs.
- It also straightens round shoulders and relieves backache.
- It is recommended especially for women who have a tendency
- towards miscarriage as it tones the female sexual organs.
- It is a good preparatory pose for chakrasana.