Exercise-89: Pada prasar paschimottanasana (the legs spread and back stretching pose)
- Sit with the legs spread as wide as possible.
- Clasp the hands over the head and swivel the torso slightly to the right.
- Stretch the arms upward and bend the trunk downward.
- Touch the right knee with the nose.
- Raise the trunk and repeat on the opposite side.
Pada prasar paschimottanasana- variation 1
- Sit with the legs spread and the hands clasped behind the back.
- Raise the arms and try to touch the ground between the knees with the nose.
- Raise the trunk and resume a seated position.
Pada prasar paschimottanasana – variation 2
- Sit with the legs spread but do not clasp the hands behind the back.
- Bend forward, grasp the big toes and try to place the forehead on the floor.
- Do not bend the knees.
- Return to the starting position after a short time in the final pose.
Breathing (for all three techniques)-
- Breathe normally in the sitting position.
- Retain the breath while bending forward into the final pose and returning to the starting position.
Perform each technique up to 5 times.
This asana is a counter pose to backward bending asanas.
Not to be done by people with slipped disc, sciatica, chronic arthritis or sacral infections.
This asana has essentially the same benefits as paschimottanasana.