Exercise-35: Shavasana (the corpse posture)
- Lie flat on the floor with arms on the side and in line with the body- palms facing upwards.
- Move the feet slightly apart to a comfortable position and close the eyes.
- Relax and do not move any part of the body even if slight discomfort develops.
- Breathe in a rhythmic and natural manner.
- Become aware of the inhalation and exhalation.
- Count the number of respirations- 1 in, 1 out and so on.
- Continue to count and bring your mind back to counting if it wanders.
- Relax both mind and body.
Duration-The longer the better in general but a few minutes in between asanas.
Concentration-Concentrate deliberately on your breath and counting.
- Relaxes the whole psycho-physiological system.
- Ideal before sleep and before and during asana practice especially after
- dynamic exercises like surya namaskara.