Asthma is a chronic lung disease that is characterized by a decreased ability to breathe easily. The flow of air in and out of the lungs is obstructed in the airways that carry air to the air sacs deep inside the lung. Asthma can either be acute or chronic.
Symptoms associated with asthma are coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath and chest tightness.
Remedies to cure asthma are:
1. Take equal quantity of honey and ginger juice and mix half a gram of black pepper powder in it. Take this mixture three times a day.
2. While making food make use of Ginger , garlic and onions in tadkas as these are mucous busters and help to cure asthma.
3. Steaming ginger tea or hot garlic milk should be taken in the morning and evening.
4. Caraway seeds ( Ajwain ) boiled in water is an old ayurvedic remedy for asthma.
5. Mix 1 tsp honey with ½ tsp cinnamon powder . Consume just before sleeping.
6. For early stages of asthma, boil 8-10 cloves of garlic in ½ cup of milk and drink it at night.
7. To remove phlegm from throat add 1 tsp of honey in very hot water and drink it slowly just before sleeping.
8. Soak 1 tspn of Fenugreek seeds (overnight) in a cup of water. Strain it and add 1tspn of honey and 1tspn of ginger juice to it. Asthma patients should take it in morning and evening.
9. Ginger , turmeric , black pepper , cumin can be ground together and mixed with honey to make a paste. One teaspoon in a day of this mixture is very useful in keeping the chest clear.
10. Applying balm of Gilead , eucalyptus oil , cinnamon oil or clove oil to the chest and back also helps to improve breathing.
11. In general, all people with asthma or chest problems should perform deep breathing exercises daily .
12. The juice of one lemon , diluted in a glass of water should be taken with meals to cure asthma.
13. Make a soup of drumstick leaves by adding a handful of leaves to 180 ml of water and boiling it for five minutes. After being allowed to cool, add salt , pepper , and lime juice to it. It should be taken once in a day.
14. During the attack, mustard oil , mixed with a little camphor , should be massaged over the back of the chest. This will loosen up phlegm and ease breathing.
An asthma patient should avoid foods which tend to produce phlegm, such as rice, sugar lentils, and curds. He should also avoid fried and other difficult-to-digest foods, strong tea, coffee, alcoholic beverages, condiments, pickles, sauces and all refined and processed foods.