Ayurveda Remedies for Indigestion
Indigestion is the term used to describe pain and discomfort in the upper abdomen or chest that can develop after a meal.
Symptoms of indigestion are:
1. Feeling of heaviness or uneasiness in the stomach
2. Stomach ache
3. Coated tongue
4. Loss of appetite
13. Pain in the lower legs
Causes of indigestion are:
Indigestion can be caused by the following eating or physical habits carried on by individuals:
1. Eating a lot of fried foods, meat, sweets, heavy foods
3. Eating incompatible food items
4. Eating at irregular times
5. Eating very quickly
6. Mixing too many foods in one meal
7. Consuming too much tea, coffee and alcohol
9. Staying up late ·
10. Emotional disturbances (stress, grief, anxiety)
11. Taking drugs like antibiotics, painkillers and steroids.
Some Remedies to cure indigestion are:
1. Fasting completely for one day is an efficient method.
2. Lemon juice mixed in warm water taken three times a day improves digestion.
3. Chewing a small piece of fresh ginger with salt, five to ten minutes before meals, stimulates digestion.
4. Take equal amounts of ginger powder, black pepper, dried mint leaves, asafetida (hing), anise seeds, coriander seeds, cumin, fennel and common salt. Grind together to make a fine powder. Take about 1 teaspoon of this powder with water, twice a day after meals.
5. Drinking buttermilk after a meal improves digestion. Roasted cumin seeds and a little salt in the buttermilk increases its effectiveness.
6. Drink a lot of water. (About 10-12 glasses in a day)
7. Eat half a teaspoon of aniseed to improve digestion.
8. A teaspoon of ginger juice mixed in a quarter cup of warm water can be taken two or three times a day. A teaspoon of lemon juice and a pinch of salt can also be added to make it more effective.
9. Take Ginger powder, Ghee (Clarified Butter) & Jaggery (Brown Sugar) mix them together in same quantity and make small balls size of small marbles and have it after each meal.
10.Mix about 5 gms of asafetida ( hing) with a glass of hot water. Add a teaspoonful of sugar to improve the taste. Though it smells bad while swallowing, it rapidly relieves your system of flatulence and helps in relieving indigestion.
11.Add 2 drops of mint oil in a cup of warm water and drink immediately. It provides instant relief from gripping and flatulence.
12. Mix a teaspoon of carom seeds (ajwain seeds) with 1/2 spoon of rock salt. Consume the mixture with a glass of water. This will instantly get rid of flatulence and stomach disorder.
13. Lemon juice mixed in warm water taken three times a day improves digestion.
14. Sleeping during the day, especially after lunch is not recommended, as it produces indigestion.
15. Go for regular long walks.