A sore throat produces a raw feeling in the back of the throat causing discomfort, especially when swallowing and can cause hoarse voice.
It is often associated with infection, but it can result from anything that irritates the sensitive mucous membranes of the throat. It is usually caused by a viral infection, and often develops with a cold or the flu. It may also be a symptom of mononucleosis, mumps, laryngitis, or tonsillitis.
Here are a few tips to help you cure your sore throat.
1. Gargle with salty warm water atleast 4-5 times in a day.
2. Drink a glass of hot water with lemon juice and honey in it.
3. Eat betel leaves with liquorice ( mulathi ) 2-3 times a day.
4. Make a paste of 2-3 cloves with 1-2 cloves of garlic . Mix with 1 cup of honey . Have 1 tsp 3 times a day.
5. Soak 8-10 almonds . Peel and grind with 8-10 pepper corns . Mix in 1 cup of water. Sieve and drink adding either salt or sugar to taste.
6. Gargle 2-3 times with fenugreek tea, made with 2 tbsp of fenugreek seeds boiled in 6 cups of water .
7. Before going to bed drink a cup of warm milk with a pinch of turmeric powder .
8. Boil one whole onion , mash and eat with a little butter , salt and pepper .
9. Soak finely chopped onion in honey for a day. Strain out the onion and drink 2 tsp of the honey daily.
10. Chew 2 basil ( tulsi ) leaves 3-4 times in a day.
11. Add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon salt in 1 cup of warm water. Gargle with this mixture twice a day.
12. Take 1 teaspoon of powdered cinnamon, a pinch of pepper, and two teaspoons of honey in a glass of boiled water.
13. Drink at least 8 glasses of fluids a day.
14. Avoid talking too much or straining your voice.
15. Avoid undiluted citrus juices as they are acidic and may irritate throat.
16. Don’t use mouthwash containing alcohol.
17. Avoid smoky or polluted environments.
18. Avoid fermented foods and dairy products such as cheese, yogurt.
19. Warm drinks with honey and lemon are particularly soothing.
20. Rest your voice.