Migraine is a throbbing or pulsating headache that is often one sided (unilateral) and associated with nausea; vomiting; sensitivity to light, sound, and smells; sleep disruption; and depression. Attacks are often recurrent and tend to become less severe as the migraine sufferer ages.
The cause of migraine is not well understood, it seems to involve widening and narrowing of the blood vessels in the brain. It usually occurs when a person is under great mental tension or has suddenly got over that state.
Some other causes of migraine attacks are:
1. Alteration of sleep-wake cycle
2. Missing or delaying a meal
3. Medications that cause a swelling of the blood vessels
4. Daily or near daily use of medications made for relieving headache attacks
5. Excessive bright lights, sunlight, fluorescent lights, TV and movie viewing
6. Excessive noise.
7. Stress and/or underlying depression
8. Excessive consumption of tea, coffee, aspirin or nicotine is also known to contribute to headache.
Some remedies to cure migraine are:
1. Take clove , cinnamon and almond in equal quantities (around 1 teaspoon each) and grind together with a little water to make a paste. Apply paste on the forehead.
2. Make a paste sandalwood powder and water . Apply it whenever suffering from headache.
3. Mix a quarter teaspoon of clove powder in one teaspoon of cinnamon oil . Apply this paste to get quick relief from headache.
4. Take a few drops of ghee ( clarified butter ) on your palm. Mix 3 or 4 pieces of saffron in it, and rub it for two minutes. (The saffron does not dissolve in the ghee, but its qualities are absorbed). Remove saffron and put two drops of this ghee in each nostril.(Dosage: Follow procedure twice a day).
5. Mix 1 tablespoon of milk and half teaspoon of ginger powder . Twice a day put one to drops of it your nose to get permanent cure from headaches.
6. Oil massage on the scalp also relieves tension and headache.
7. Heat 1 teaspoon of almond oil. When it cools down, put two drops in each nostril.
8. The natural urges (sneezing, passing stool and urine, hunger, thirst, sleep, breathing and yawning etc.) should not be suppressed.
9. Try to keep your mind free from anxiety, anger, mental tension and worry.
10 Daily practice YOGA.
Some of the asanas that are good to cure headache are:
Surya namaskar, Pranayam, Kapaalbhati, Janu Sirsasana (Head-to-Knee Forward Bend, Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend), Savasana (Corpse Pose), Setu Bandha Sarvangasana (Bridge Pose),